Ministry of Commerce and Industry Launches Provisional Commercial License Service
June 28, 2021
As part of its efforts to support the private sector and facilitate investment in Qatar, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (“MoCI”), working with the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Labour, recently announced the launch of a new provisional commercial license service.
The new service will issue provisional licenses for certain commercial activities including those activities conducted by hotels, health facilities, and other activities. Provisional licenses will not be available for “administrative offices” such as contracting companies, limousine services, and cleaning services.
Provisional licenses are subject to the following conditions:
- The provisional license is only valid for one year, and may only be renewed with MoCI approval;
- The provisional licence may be issued without additional external approvals on the understanding that such approvals will be obtained for the final commercial license;
- The provisional license does not permit companies to officially launch operations or conduct business. It is meant to assist new companies in establishing business sites, obtaining labour approvals, raw materials, bank accounts, and approvals for the final commercial license;
- The provisional license is issued without external approvals, provided that approvals are obtained when the final commercial licence is issued; and
- The provisional license will be identified as such with a validity period of one year from the date of issuance.
The provisional license will be issued in stages according to the following:
- Stage 1 – a license application form is submitted, a lease agreement acknowledgement form is completed, a construction completion certificate or building permit or contract with the state is submitted, and a copy of the applicant’s ID card is lodged; and
- Stage II – all documents required for a final commercial license will be submitted.