Qatar Building 800 MW Solar Plant

March 16, 2020

In late January 2020 Qatar signed an agreement with Total S.A. (France) and Marubeni Corporation (Japan) to build the Al Kharsaah Solar Power Plant – an 800 megawatt solar power plant that is anticipated to meet about 10% of Qatar’s current electricity demand. The Al Kharsaah plant is expected to cost approximately QR 1.7 billion (~ $467 million) and will occupy 10 square kilometers of land west of Doha.

Siraj Energy, which is a joint venture company owned by Qatar Petroleum and Qatar Electricity and Water Company, will own 60% of the plant with the remaining 40% being held between Total and Marubeni. Siraj Energy will sell electricity to the General Electricty & Water Corporation (Kahramaa). The plant will have a term of 25 under a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer model and is expected to reach full capacity by 2022. The plant aims to reduce CO2 emissions in Qatar by 26 million tonnes.

Share this news

Join our mailing list

Connect with us

© Copyright 2019 Sultan Al-Abdulla & Partners

error: Content is protected !!